Thursday, December 27, 2012

Non-Fiction Picture Book Review: Celebrate Kwanzaa

Holidays Around the World: Celebrate Kwanzaa: With Candles, Community, and the Fruits of the Harvest

Holidays Around the World: Celebrate Kwanzaa
Written by:  Carolyn Otto
Published by: National Geographic, 2008

* I first discovered the National Geographic series, Holidays Around the World with Celebrate Hanukkah.  I found it to be a very informative but easy to understand book with amazing photographs (though you wouldn't expect less from National Geographic!).  I was excited to discover that they had a Celebrate Kwanzaa book and put it on hold at the library.  I ended up reading this book to just my 6 year old daughter, only because my son was off playing and we were snuggled up on the couch reading.  Just like the Celebrate Hanukkah book this book was written so even young children can easily understand it.  The author explains what Kwanzaa is, how people celebrate, and even gives some information on Africa.  The photographs show all the different ways that people celebrate the holiday including dancing, lighting the kinara, drummers, and people dressed up in bright clothing, "displaying the patterns and colors of Africa."  This is not the first book that we've read about Kwanzaa, so my daughter is familiar with holiday.  There is a picture of children in Africa playing mancala, which my daughter told me she has played at school (which was news to me!).  Although she said it's really boring.  The author also gives a recipe for Sweet Potato Pie at the end of the book along with a list of other resources to find out more about the holiday.  Overall, this is a great book for young children about Kwanzaa with accopmanying photographs, rather than illustrations.

This book was borrowed from the library.

Family Rating: 2 thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment