Saturday, January 19, 2013

Beginning Reader Book Review: Henry and Mudge and the Snowman Plan

Henry and Mudge and the Snowman Plan (Henry and Mudge, #19)

Henry and Mudge and the Snowman Plan
Written by:  Cynthia Rylant
Illustrated by:  Sucie Stevenson
Published by: Aladdin Paperbacks, 1999

* My daughter and I have read several books in Cynthia Rylant's Henry and Mudge series.  However, this was the first Henry and Mudge book that my son has read.  I had wrongly thought that he was familiar with the series so I had to give him a little background on the characters.  I told him that Henry was an only child and asked his parents for a dog.  That's pretty much all he had to know before beginning!

My son is a beginning reader.  This book is broken up into three titled sections. So, he ended up reading one section a day, over three days.  In this book, when Henry sees a poster advertising a snowman contest, he gets really excited and runs home to tell his dad.  His dad is in the midst of painting a chair but ends up with more paint on him than on the chair.  The day of the contest Henry and his dad already have their snowman plan ready.  When the judging begins there are all kinds of snow sculptures including snow aliens and a snow Abraham Lincoln.  Henry and his dad are happy with the way things turn out and their prizes. 

This book is actually #19 in the series.  Luckily, I don't think the books have to be read in any special order to understand them.  Henry and Mudge is a good beginning chapter series, with short chapters.  My son had very little difficulty reading this book to me.  He enjoyed it enough that he's interested in reading more of the series. 

We own this book.

Family Rating: 1 thumb up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment